Friday, September 20, 2013

Fall Craft-tacular

Even though its still 80 degrees outside, I feel like Fall is around the corner.  Fall here starts mid October/early November but I can't be deterred.  My nesting instincts have kicked in and I have been all about decorating the house for the season.  I'm also not one to spend a ton of money on the typical decorations so I've been scouring Pinterest for some fall inspired crafts that I could do with some of the supplies we had on hand.  

My first project was these glasses.  I had them left over from our wedding and they were just calling to be used in the house somewhere.  This project was super easy.  I bought some letter stickers and adhered the word "Thanks" to them.  I put one letter per jar and then filled the jars with some small pumpkins, acorns and pine cones I had found on sale at the local craft store.  Around them I just arranged some fall floral and the table runner is something Josh had before we were married.  I love the overall look and only wish you could see the word better.  All in all I think this will be the perfect centerpiece through Thanksgiving!

Our new dinning room centerpiece

The mantel was a bit more work as the burlap banner really took a lot of time.  We had a TON of burlap left over from our wedding so after deciding what I wanted it to say I cut out the appropriate number of pennants.  Then I printed out letter stencils from my word program and used a brown permanent marker to fill in the letters.  Because I wanted it to last multiple seasons I painted a layer of mod podge to give the pennants some structure and to stop the burlap from shedding (if you haven't worked with burlap before, its messy).  From there I just whipped out my hot glue gun and got to work.  I adhered the pennants first to some juke and then attached the orange trim.  This is by far my favorite project I did.  I love the look and can't wait to make another one for the Christmas season!  The other decorations are little things that I picked up from the craft store.  I can't resist a good deal and the florals and small pumpkins were on sale!
 
Love the mantel for Fall

This next project has been on my agenda since we've moved in.  I really wanted a wreath for our front door but didn't want to buy anything.  Again we have a ton of burlap left over from the wedding and frankly I just love the look of the fabric.  I bought a metal frame and the accessories and got to work.  The burlap had to be cut into strips and then just looped through the frame.  I used pipe cleaners to secure it making sure to hide the cleaners along the way.  The letter I just painted and attached with a navy ribbon.  The flower was the same story and I just used the wire on it to attach it.  Overall it doesn't scream fall but that's what I wanted.  I plan on leaving this on the door for most of the year.

Welcome to our home!

My last project was the dreaded bulletin board in our entryway.  Since we toured the house I've wanted to do something on this board.  I saw it as a family center where we could keep track of things, maybe put up a calendar or two.  I tried to get started on this project multiple time but ended up hating everything I did.  It just looked like a classroom board to me.  I decided that I first needed to cover the cork.  I found this fabric remnant at the craft store and took a chance that on it that it would fit.  And guess what?  Its perfect!  I love the green chevron and think it will work for multiple seasons (Christmas, spring, etc.) I didn't really know what to put on it this month so I just did a simple countdown to baby girl's arrival and a calendar with our family events on it.  The words say, "Blessings Fall Every Day" and the fall accents were just leftovers from the other projects.  I'm still not in love but think it will grow on me a bit.  Its definitely better than my first few attempts.

Our family cork board


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...