Monday, January 19, 2015

Whole 30 Update

So I wrote about my decision to start the Whole 30 program a little bit ago here.  I'm now 15 days in (or halfway) and I thought it was fitting to record some of my thoughts about how it's going thus far.

The first day was a breeze.  I was motivated to change my eating habits and enjoyed creating new meals from the real foods I was eating.  I didn't really expect to get any true withdrawals or cravings right away but was surprisingly woken up that night shaking and sweating.  It got so bad that I had to get up and eat a banana.

The next day I kept pushing forward and was fine during the day.  Again I was woken up by slight symptoms of withdrawal in the night.  This time I knew it wasn't as severe and was able to fall back asleep.

As the next few days went on I definitely wanted my sweets but I kept strict to the Whole 30 plan. By day 5 I had somewhat lost my drive for sugar.  I didn't expect this so soon but was pleasantly surprised as I was able to easily refuse desserts and sugar infused treats.  Yes!  This was my main reason for doing this plan!

So now I am officially halfway and I feel like I am at a bit of crossroads.  I'm tired of all the cooking, meal planning and dish washing (oh did I mention my dishwasher broke day 2 into this?!).  I keep wondering what the next day will look like and more importantly what the end will look like.  I don't think I can keep this up.  Nor do I honestly really want to.

But don't get me wrong.  There has been some serious good that has come out of the last 15 days.  I have a WAY better understanding of the food I'm putting in my mouth.  I realize how much sugar I was consuming and how it was affecting my body.  I can say that I will definitely be more of a label reader than I already am and will likely try to make better choices when it comes to sugar and my food.  For example I am baffled as to why sugar is everywhere.  My garlic salt seasoning has sugar in it!  I mean shouldn't it just be garlic and salt?!

So am I quitting?  I don't know yet.  Not today at least.  I will get through the rest of the whole 30 compliant food in my house and then see.  I honestly feel pretty indifferent about it.  I didn't really come into it expecting to go the whole month.  More so I wanted to change how I view food and to see how sugar affected me.  I feel I have accomplished that.  Sure I could keep going and see how it continues to feel but again we'll see.

That's where I am.  Tomorrow it may be different.  By the end of the week I may eat a cookie.  I'm just not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...