Saturday, June 1, 2013

From Illinois to North Carolina...in a Uhaul

A few days ago Josh and I made the adventurous trek from Illinois to our new home in North Carolina.  When I moved to Kenya, my parents graciously allowed me to keep all my belongings at their house (probably in secret hopes I'd just move in again).  It was time to box everything up for good and head south.

The packing was pretty straight forward.  For the most part I had everything packed away from when I moved back from Michigan two years ago.  I knew I was headed to Kenya so there was no need to unpack.  Our task was to consolidate the few random items still around and decide what major furniture we wanted to take with us.

The pile seemed pretty large and I think everyone (but Josh) doubted it would actually fit into the Uhaul.  Thankfully my dad and brother were on hand to help load up.  The boys had a great time packing the truck, trying to fit every box in like a puzzle.  Their skills paid off as nothing seemed to be damaged upon arrival.

The next day we took off with the intention of reaching Dayton, Ohio.  The drive was uneventful for the most part.  It was a little tricky driving the large Uhaul with my car attached especially with the high winds we encountered from Illinois to Indiana.  We also couldn't back up and had to make sure every place we entered had enough space to turn around.  Poor Josh ended up driving most of the way except for a short two hour stretch through Indianapolis.

After hitting Dayton, we decided we could handle another hour and drove on to a small town called Chillicothe.  Dinner was long overdue and we crashed for the evening before repeating it all the next day.

The second day went better.  The winds had died down and the roads were pretty much empty.  We climbed into the Appalachian Mountains through the beautiful country of West Virginia and Virginia.  As usual longest part of the trek was the last few hours in North Carolina.  At that point we were just ready to be home.  Unfortunately we weren't able to get to the house that night, but thankfully were able to stay another night with our friends here.  We were both dying for a shower and a soft bed!

The next day we finally headed to the house and began the long process of unloading and unpacking.  The house seems so large with only my things in it.  I can't wait to start opening up the boxes and putting things away

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...