Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tot School-Patterns

This week were doing patterns!  I'm a little nervous about how it will go because like I said last week I think it's going to be a harder concept for Mara to grasp.

On Monday we started our morning with a matching patterns worksheet.  I found the worksheet online through this resource.  Mara was semi interested in the different whales but didn't get the concept of matching the similar ones.  We just talked through it and left it at that.


Later in the day we did a patterned ice cube sort.  I used pom poms of different colors to create an every other type of pattern and then asked her to replicate it across from it.  She didn't like that idea and instead made her own pattern!  I was actually quite surprised when the end result was a pattern of it's own!



After nap we did our Bible verse, 1Cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order., for the day along with our craft project.  I painted every other toe a different color and then we pressed her foot to a leaf shape I cut out the night before.  She loved this so much she asked to do the other foot!  We then talked about the verse and the pattern we created.



Tuesday was a little slower for us.  In the morning we did a do a dot worksheet.  I have never done do a dot markers with her before and she loved it.  For those who don't know what do a dot is imagine those bingo markers that make perfect circles when stamped.  I printed off a blank worksheet with circles and showed her what a pattern looked like.  She then used the markers to stamp.  We didn't create many patterns but she did awesome with staying in the circles and stamping rather than dragging.



We ended the day with some pattern songs.  I am definitely going to keep incorporating songs into our lesson plans because she loves them.  And I love that they are educational rather than some of her other favorite shows! :)

Wednesday was a fun day starting with creating some patterned clothespin caterpillars.  Mara loved using the pom poms and googly eyes to make caterpillars.  I only wish we had that Eric Carle book about them to read along with it!



We rounded off the day with another coloring page.  This time it was a simple cross that had been divided into multiple shapes.  We used colors to create different patterns in the cross.  Mara didn't seem to want to "ruin" the cross so she asked me to do the coloring while she scribbled around it!


Later that day we tried to go outside for some fresh air but the dreary weather and rain changed our plans.  I knew it would take a lot to get her back inside so I suggested painting our nails!  Mara loves getting her toenails painted so I chose two colors and did every other toe.  She loved it and sat so still for me.  That night she was very upset at Daddy because she thought he was trying to remove her polish in the bath. :)


Thursday we had a rough start as we were going to head to the park.  Rain changed our plans and we ended up in front of the TV most of the morning (mom fail).  I did lay out an aquarium worksheet for her to do thinking that we would get to it after nap.  She surprised me and became immediately interested.  I was even more shocked when she was able to continue the patterns that were set up on the sheet! This involved matching the sea animal to the right row as well as putting them in the correct pattern order!


Friday was another busy day.  I had my Usborne launch party that morning followed by doctors visits at the embassy for both Mara and I.  We didn't get home till nap time. In the afternoon we did some patterning using baby links and then had a patterned snack of M&Ms.



Overall this week was very challenging.  As I suspected it was a very hard concept for Mara to grasp.  I am happy that we stuck with it and continued to work on activities despite this.  I am a firm believer that no matter what we do and no matter how long she works on something that she will get something out of it.  Next week we are tackling body parts and I am super excited for some of the activities I have planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...