Monday, August 12, 2013

My New Role

When we were in Kenya, I had a full time job working for CDC in their infectious disease department.  I was knee deep in my career field coordinating an encephalitis study in a rural hospital in western Nyanza.  Working for the CDC literally in the trenches of international public health was a dream first job for me.  I felt incredibly lucky to be a part of that project and the experience was invaluable.

With Josh in the military its a given that we're going to be moving around a bit.  A few years here and a few years there can be rough on some people but I love the excitement of a new place and areas to explore.  It also goes without saying that it can be hard for spouses to pick up and find another job so quickly, yet alone one in their career field.

When we found out we were headed to North Carolina, we knew it was going to be difficult for me to find a job.  Its a bit more rural here and the opportunities in research just aren't readily available.  Add on this sweet baby girl who is scheduled to make her arrival in early October and we just weren't sure how two jobs and an infant were going to work.

Bring in the solution:  I would stay home.  I would put the epidemiology on hold for awhile and focus on my family.  And you know what...I LOVE IT!  Sure the day to day cleaning and other household activities aren't my favorite thing to do but I appreciate the reward in the end.

Come October I'll add another role to my list, that of mom.  I feel so blessed that I'm going to be able to stay home with our daughter and provide for her all her daily needs.  I know so many moms aren't allowed this and I am so grateful that I'm going to be able to have this opportunity.

Staying at home has also given me a much greater appreciation for Josh and the hard work he puts in day after day to support us.  He works countless hours so we can make this household run.  His efforts allow me to stay home; to get to be that stay at home mom that I always wanted to be.  And for that I only love him more.

Sure I know staying at home isn't for everyone and I'm sure that sometime down the road I may have to go back into the workforce, but for right now this is what works for us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...