Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hiring a Doula

Last week we took the plunge and hired a doula for the birth.  We had tossed around the idea for a week or so after being introduced to concept by one of Josh's coworkers.  Our major hurdle in hiring a doula was wondering if it was really necessary.  Was she going to do anything that Josh wasn't planning on doing?  Would she take over Josh's role?  We were unsure.  SO...we scheduled an interview and asked these questions.

And I have to say I was surprised.  I was surprised how comfortable I felt with her immediately.  I was surprised about how much she knew about my pregnancy by just looking at me.  I was surprised about how willing she was to make sure Josh was as involved as he wanted to be.  I was surprised how accommodating she was to whatever your birth plan may be whether its completely natural or reliant on medical intervention.

In the end we decided we needed to hire her.  Her knowledge and familiarity with the hospital staff alone made us feel so secure in our birth choices.  What was most comforting to me was the familiarity I was gaining.  I can't describe it but from the beginning I've struggled with the fact that I most likely won't be delivering with the doctor or midwife I've seen for my care.  Heck I was lucky enough to get the same provider for my prenatal care!  This fact really bothered me.  I didn't want to deliver with just anyone, especially someone who was not on board with the kind of birth I wanted to have.

Having the doula gives me this extra continuity of care.  I know both she and Josh will be there and will do everything in their power to give me the birth I desire.  And that's super comforting.

Sure a doula may not be for everyone but I'm so glad we were introduced to the idea.  I really think that she's going to make this birth a memorable one for both Josh and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...