Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weekend Wrap-up

Even though rain spoiled our original plans to head to Kakamega this weekend, Josh and I had a great few days just hanging out around Kisumu with friends.  Friday night we headed out with a few friends to this new Chinese restaurant   As with all things in Kisumu, it wasn't the best I've ever had but it was pretty good for Kenyan standards.  Afterwards we made our way up to the Duke of Breeze and enjoyed a few cold ones with friends.  It was nice to relax after a long week.

On Saturday we were invited over for brunch at a friends house and let me tell you the food was awesome.  We had waffles with apple cinnamon syrup, eggs, bacon, fruit and sausage.  Brunch ended up not happening till about 3:30 but its the thought that counts and Kenyan time always applies anyways.

That evening we decided to check out the Hindu celebration of light, Diwali.  Despite muddy grounds and drizzling weather, we enjoyed delicious traditional Indian cuisine and admired a few of the displays.  At the end of the night a raffle was drawn for 20 various prizes ranging from a 50kg bag of sugar to a motorbike.  Even though a few of our group bought tickets, I think in the end they wished we had skipped the drawing.  It took 2 hours to read the raffle!!

You can't really tell what it is from here but it was the first time I had baked in the crock pot.  On the bottom is a yummy fudge layer!
Sunday Josh and I relaxed most of the morning.  I whipped up a few baked goods (chocolate peanut butter fudge cake and pumpkin pie bars) and he worked on a project for our wedding.  Later on we headed over to a friends house for yet another BBQ.  Filet steak, garlic bread and yummy salad made up the menu.  From there we headed over to yet another friends house to hang out a bit before heading back home to watch the Packers take on the Cardinals.

This weekend is my favorite kind in Kisumu.  Its great to get together with good friends over a few brews and good food.  And that's exactly what we did times three!  As usual Monday came too soon and we are back in the daily grind.  Thankfully there isn't the normal mass confusion before I leave for the states.  I'm so lucky to have already found my replacement and have her here to run things while I'm in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...