Thursday, December 18, 2014

Proud to be a Military Family

As the holidays roll in and Josh is far away from us right now, I thought I would be swimming in a sea of resentment and frustration.  Angry at the situation.  Angry at the war.  Angry at the military.

But with a week till Christmas, here I sit at peace with our current situation.  Yes it's not ideal but this is where we are supposed to be right now and that knowledge makes me feel settled.  What would we do without His grace?!

The other day I was thinking about where I am in life, reflecting on our little family and our situation.  I just laughed to myself because if you would have asked me even five years ago where I'd be in life, who I'd be married to, I would have never dreamed this life.

The military was a scary proposition to me.  For the most part of my teenage years, the United States had been involved in some conflict overseas.  It didn't directly affect me or my family so I honestly didn't know that much about it.  And now I am embarrassed to say, but I was happy with it that way!

Well He had a better plan for my life (and I'm so glad) because here I am.  Happily married to a military man and SO PROUD to be a military family.

Sure it's hard.  We move around a lot.  Our roots are always shallow but man do they grow fast.  And packing, yep, we have that down to a science!  And (here's a secret) some of us actually enjoy it.

We go through deployments, some more than others.  It's hard being away from our spouses but we do it because we know it's for the greater good.  We send way too many care packages and spend a ton of time on skype but it's all worth it for that day they come home.

There's something special about military families.  They get it.  They know what you are going through.  They've been there. They are family away from family.  Friendships form quickly and are deep. We know each other will be moving on eventually but there is always the possibility of seeing each other again.  This military we love, it's surprisingly small sometimes.

So this is our life.  Our military life.  And I wouldn't change it for the world.  (Even in the midst of this deployment) It's hard to put it into words sometimes but I am so thankful that this is where I am, where we are.  That we can provide this service for our country.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...