Monday, March 17, 2014

Grandpa

On March 6, my grandfather passed away.  He was 99 years old.  For the past few months he had slowly been going downhill and I had come to peace that his time was getting short.

Although his passing was hard, I really tried to focus on all the memories I have of him rather than the sorrow currently felt.


  • He was constantly telling a story about his childhood.  He'd tell the same story over and over again mostly for the lesson embedded within.  Sometimes it just took awhile for that lesson to set in :)
  • He loved his sweets.  Cookies, cookies, cookies.  But he always shared!
  • His favorite thing to do was talk about the farm and would ALWAYS ask "what the word was".
  • He loved westerns and could usually be found with a good book in his hand.
  • He lived in flannel shirts and overalls. Oh and that straw hat.
  • He was as stubborn as they come but in that good way where he always got his way with a quick smile. 
  • His smile.  I got my dimples from him.
  • He was a great mentor.  Teaching my dad and then my brother and I the ins and outs of the farm.
  • He would spend hours walking the pasture.  
  • He would always show up hours early when we'd ask his help and stay hours later even when we didn't ask.
  • He was an avid poker player and carried around a tub of pennies just in case someone wanted to get a game going. 
  • He knew the meaning of hard work.
  • He had so much practical knowledge despite his little schooling.
I'm so thankful for the many years I had my grandpa in my life.  I am so thankful that he was able to be at my high school performances and graduation.  I am so thankful that he was at my wedding.  I am so thankful that he got to meet Mara.  He lived a long life and I am so proud to have known him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...