Monday, October 22, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

Our adventures have been semi-limited as of late and this weekend was no different.  We did however have a great time hanging out with friends and celebrating Josh's birthday.

Friday evening I spent in the kitchen doing a little baking to get ready for all the guests coming over on Saturday.  Although I knew Josh wanted pumpkin pie for his "cake", I thought others may be interested in some other treats as well. First I made pie crust and stuck it in the fridge to chill overnight.  I can't wait till I have the proper baking tools again because cutting in butter with two table knives is just a huge hassle.

I broke out the tried and true bailey's brownies.  This time they were a little gooey but in the end that just makes them better!  I also thought I would try a pumpkin snicker-doodle recipe.  Let me tell you they turned out amazing.  I will even forgive them for being a cookie.  (Note: I hate baking cookies.  Too much work putting in batch after batch)  In the end I'm glad I stuck with them as they ended up being a huge hit on Saturday.

 Besides the baking, Josh and I just hung out.  It was nice to have him in the kitchen with me for a change.  We also tackled the daunting task of gluing our 4000 piece puzzle (details here).  Its only been sitting on the dinning room table for close to a year now.  I am so thankful for Josh's problem solving skills because I'm not sure I could have done it on my own.  We had so much trouble getting newspaper under the puzzle that we ended up taking it apart into approximately 6 pieces.  Currently its still in these pieces.  Hopefully we can finish it up before heading back to the states in a few weeks.

Saturday I dragged myself out of bed early to get started on the party details. I quickly whipped up the pie filling and got them in the oven.  While that was cooking I made some guacamole and finished doing the dishes (I hate having a dirty sink at the start of a party).   Next I decided I better get in a workout as I knew that day I would be consuming large amounts of food.  Jillian Michaels and I bonded over level three of her cardio shred and by bonded I mean I died.  There was a ton of explosive moves and hard ab sections.  Overall I think its going to be great and I'm excited to keep at it.  After a quick shower it was back down to the kitchen to pull out the pies.

All the while Josh was busy goggling a meatball recipe that I had mentioned the night before.  You know that recipe with frozen meatballs, chili sauce and grape jelly.  Throw it all in a crock pot and a few hours later you have an amazing tailgating snack.  Well it sounded awesome minus the fact that we didn't have grape jelly or chili sauce in Kenya.  No worries though I headed to the store and came back with ingredients that did the trick.  Mmmm delicious!  The pig went into the oven and we were ready.

People started coming around 4 and we basically just hung out the rest of the night.  It was nice to catch up with everyone and spend some time together.  The roasted pig was a huge hit and I'm so thankful the food went over well!!  The kids loved trying their hand with the slackline and the adults had some pretty intense games of corn hole.  In the end we just had to bring out a pie covered in candles for Josh to blow out.

Sunday was pretty chill as per requested.  We caught up on sleep and basically spent the day on the couch.  We did get a few wedding things accomplished but were mainly focused on how to expend as little energy as possible.  I gave Josh his presents and made a really good breakfast of egg burritos as per request.  

Overall the weekend was great.  Sure we didn't do any major traveling but sometimes its great to just hangout with good friends and we definitely have a good number of those here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...