Friday, October 3, 2014

Mara's First Birthday Party

Mara's birthday party was everything I hoped it to be.  I wanted a day where Mara could enjoy herself and be a tad bit spoiled :)  I tried to plan ahead by doing most of the work the day before.  I hung up decorations and made food with the help of my mom and Aunt Mary.  I didn't want to be stressed out the day of.  I also wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to try to connect with Josh and Mara to get a nap in.

Twinkle Twinkle little star

Ready to party
So in true Mara style she gave mama a minor panic attack when she refused to take a nap until literally the last possible minute, but after an hour and half nap she woke up right as everyone was starting to come.

All dressed up

She loved the tutu
We really didn't have anything planned as far as activities during the party.  As it was mainly family we just sat around and caught up.  Mara played and managed to always have someone's hands ready and willing to walk her around the house.

Delicious cake

A rare moment with Uncle Joe

After a bit we decided to let her "open" presents.  She didn't really understand the concept about tearing the paper off but really like the items inside the boxes and bags.  Her first gift, a piggy bank, held her attention for the rest of the present opening despite our efforts to distract her.  She did briefly turn our way when books were pulled out of the bags but didn't even look up when clothes were discovered.  A typical kid, right?!

Loving the piggy bank

Then we decided it was cake time.  Mara had her own smash cake and after a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday we let her go at it.  She was so confused.  I had told her we were going to eat but here there was this massive thing on her high chair.  I gave her a taste of the icing and that was all it took.  She never "dug" in but picked at the frosting a good deal.  In the end she was pretty much pink and I'm positive she didn't even get to the cake part.


Mmm cake

She's so happy

Not sure why everyone is singing and looking at her

After cake everyone slowly went on their way.  It was really nice to have everyone together for Mara's day.  I can tell she had a good time and I know my mom loved throwing the party for her.  We're excited for round 2 in North Carolina!!

No face plant for this girl


So happy Mal could come celebrate with us







No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...