Friday, September 12, 2014

First Birthday Planning

With Mara's birthday around the corner, I've been thinking about all things party for the last couple of weeks.  I didn't want to do anything big especially with us being here in Illinois rather than North Carolina but at the same time I wanted it to be special and a little bit unique.

I love to craft and make my own decorations so I immediately began looking for themes.  I didn't want to go to the party store and just buy all of one of the prepackaged themes.  After a little bit on Pinterest, I came up with "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".  I thought it would be pretty simple decoration wise and wouldn't be the typical first birthday bash.

So I started crafting!  I cut out a ton of stars in coral, teal and gold to make star garlands.  Then I just adhered them to some hemp cord of different lengths.  I'll string these in the kitchen over the table.  Streaming down from the chandelier in the dinning room and in the living room over the picture table.

I also created two cake toppers for the regular cake and then Mara's smash cake.  I kept them pretty simple.  I wanted something on the cake but opted to not have a candle.  One year olds and candles don't mix.
Cake toppers


I want to have a lot of pictures displayed around the party.  I glued some simple gold stars on clothes pins.  On the day of the party I will string 12 pictures of her in her monthly stickers on some hemp cord.
Star clothes pins

I made a small plaque that I'll put on the picture table as well simply painting it and stenciling out one of my favorite star quotes.  I also painted a 1 gold to add to the decor.  My largest project is probably the only one I don't have finished yet.  I picked up a board at goodwill that someone had painted with chalkboard paint.  I spray painted the boarder gold and redid the chalkboard finish.  The last step will involve some chalk markers and my non existent art skills.  I'm hoping to copy those fancy chalkboards you see all over Pinterest recapping Mara's year (ie her favorite foods, number of teeth, weight, height, etc.)

party shoes
Overall I can't wait for party day.  I know Mara won't remember this day but I hope she'll look back at pictures and see how much thought went into the day.  I want her to enjoy her day.  Birthdays are important to me and I love to celebrate and shower others with love on their special day.



One banner

Party outfit

I can't believe she's going to be 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...