Saturday, September 20, 2014

Baling With Mama-Mara's First Tractor Ride

I was raised around the farm and have been driving a tractor since I was thirteen. It's important to me that Mara get exposed to that too!  Luckily my dad and brother still farm quite a bit and the number of available tractors for rides is plenty.

After a bumpy ride

On this visit I have been helping dad finish up some of the hay crop for the season.  The weather hasn't been the best and he's been struggling to get it baled and put up for the winter.  Most days it's just him and Joseph trying to do it all which equals long days and long nights.  I don't mind driving the baler as it was my primary job growing up and this time Mara got to come along.

Catching some zzzz's while Mama works

Let's just say dad was desperate.  He really needed my help.  I said sure I'd be happy to but you have to find a safe location for Mara.  The tractor has a "buddy" seat but I wouldn't classify that as safe.  She doesn't have much torso support still and the seat only has a lap belt.  So he dug out an old car seat and secured it on the seat.  We were set.

Smile mom...I'm eating puffs!

It was a bumpy ride but my girl, she hung in there.  She held on to the window bar most of the time which I found hilarious and took a nap at one point.  Mara's kind of mellow when it comes to cruising so it's hard to tell if she loved it.  She did however really enjoy looking out the windows and seeing the other tractors and semi move around.  She was mesmerized by Joseph loading the bales and really liked seeing the semi come and leave the field.

Little girl in a big tractor!

I'm so glad that I could give my little girl her first tractor ride.  I always imagined it would be my dad doing it but it was so fun to be the one behind the wheel with her.


1 comment:

  1. So glad you had the opportunity to give Mara a ride on the tractor. Even though she won't remember it, the pictures speak volumes. Lucky for both of you that you could have this experience.
    Kathy G,

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...