Friday, July 11, 2014

Mara's Nursery

Minus a few pictures in frames, Mara's nursery is finally done!  With her space I wanted to keep it simple as I knew we would likely move out of this house before she turned two.  I also wanted something that didn't scream girl or was themed.

Josh basically gave me free reins with this room in terms of the decor so I decided to go with the colors teal, red and yellow.


I love the gallery wall above the dresser.  I used old wooden embroidery hoops and stretched fabric in the colors of the room.  I also added a small mirror, a cork board with one of my favorite quotes displayed and a wooden sketch done by Josh when he was little.  The furniture is from my nursery that my parents had saved all these years.  It was in such good condition that we couldn't help but use it in Mara's.  



A small toy basket is in the corner.  It is already filled to the brim and I'm sure won't suffice as she gets older.  

On her dresser I've added a family picture along with a few knick knacks from our childhood.  The pull along Mickey is salvaged from Josh's grandmother's house.  The cookie jar in the back holds all of her bows.


Our diaper changing station was gifted to us from a friend.  I just added the display boxes above and again they are filled with knick knacks from our childhood.  The camel print is from a giveaway that I recently won from Megan over at A Blessed Nest.  I think its perfect for Mara's room as it has a Moroccan feel like her rug.




This light is a recent addition to her room.  I had been swooning over them at a local art store in town but had yet to pull the trigger.  I finally purchased one and I love the whimsical nature of it.  Mara will stare at this light forever when it's on.  


Like most things in Mara's room, her mobile was from one of our treasures.  I picked this up during our time in Kenya.  Luckily the colors fit perfectly in the room!


A few stuff animals are always necessary!


This rug was actually the first thing we purchased for the room specifically.  We were on our honeymoon in Morocco and looking at rugs.  This rug is so soft and is traditionally given as a dowry present to bring fertility.  I love the sentimental touch and obviously Mara thinks it's pretty great too!



My wonderful sister in law gave us this last Christmas and I absolutely love it.  She so thoughtfully painted it to match the room and I love switching out the pictures as Mara grows.  


Above Mara's crib I wanted to keep it simple as I knew Mara would eventually become very interested with things hanging there.  I just added a red M to fill up the space.  Again her crib was once mine.  We kept the bedding simple.  She just has a basic cream sheet and now a breathable bumper to keep her feet from slipping between the rods.  The red polka dot bed ruffle adds a playful touch.


We spend a lot of time in this corner of the room.  The rocker was once my mom's and again used to be in my nursery.  I really need to get a back cushion for it as I am currently using this blanket that was gifted to us.  The teal side table was from my college days and I painted it teal to mach the decor.


This wall houses Mara's books.  I saw the famous Ikea spice rack hack and knew that was going to work great for this wall.  A little red paint and they're perfect.


The last corner of this room is decorated with Mara's ultrasound pics.  These are such sweet images and I didn't want them to get lost in a baby book somewhere.  I had these frames from before and simple repurposed them in this room.  

My hope for this room is that Mara will grow to love it as much as I do.  I know it's something she can definitely grow into.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...