Sunday, May 19, 2013

20 Weeks

WE'RE HALFWAY!!  This week has been pretty eventful.  We checked into the hospital on base and tried to get some medical care for me.  Needless to say the nurses and docs weren't happy that I hadn't had any medical care to date.  I was asked a hundred questions and they took 7 vials of blood.  Unfortunately (due to army scheduling) I still wasn't able to get an ultrasound or get into the OB/Midwife clinic at the actual hospital before leaving for our upcoming trip.  The earliest they could get me in was the first Monday in June.  In fact they are so booked that our 20 week scan is for 1am!! (I just may be sleeping through it) What was even more frustrating was the docs seemed to be mad at me that they will be "late" in getting their traditional 20 week appointment in.

Oh well, I'm trying not to judge the entire system on this one incident.  I'm sure once I get established in the clinic the care will only improve.  I am already impressed by the amount of pregnant women on base and the fact that they have a midwifery department!

Besides being poked and prodded, I feel pretty good.  Sleep is becoming harder to come by as I keep getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.  My hips are still hurting so I think its time to break out the pillow between the legs again.  I also had one of my veins on my leg bruise.  It was getting bigger with the pregnancy and just before my doctors appointment seemed to burst so to speak.  Compression tights are the last things I want to wear so I've been doing tight leggings and elevation.  Both seem to be helping.

The belly has definitely grown this week and I finally feel pregnant.  With the bigger belly has come some itchy skin but I think its mainly the lotion I switched to.  I tend to have sensitive skin to begin with and this lotion isn't agreeing with me.  My brand of choice has been Bio Oil and I can't wait to pick up my new bottle tomorrow!

This week Josh and I went into Baby R Us to get a better idea of some of the products I've been researching online.  Needless to say it was a bit over whelming but very helpful.  We scoped out the cribs and then spent a few hours in the stroller aisle trying to figure out how to fold and unfold the units.  Despite being information overload it was really helpful to get hands on some of these products.

Josh also treated me to a few new wardrobe pieces.  Fewer and fewer of my clothes are fitting and I really needed some maternity wear.  I have issues with the amount they want for clothes you'll only wear for a few months in these name brand stores so we ended up in a Ross.  I got a pair of capris, pants, two t-shirts and two dresses for less than $80!  I also ended up getting a few new bras that will carry me past the delivery.

Overall I still feel pretty great, I am so excited to head back up north and visit with our families.  Its going to be a busy but fun two weeks.  I'm hoping this energy boost keeps going through the move and getting settled here.  Even though I probably won't be able to do any of the heavy lifting, I'm ready to unpack boxes and discover our things again.  (Two weeks is too long to live out of suitcases)  Most of all I am ready to find out if we're having a boy or a girl.  We've held off buying any baby things or talking names till we know and the excitement is getting to me.

20 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...