Sunday, April 6, 2014

Starting Solids

So we've been experimenting with solid food for a while now with Mara.  I've been meaning to write about it but have put it to the back burner.  I find I tend to compile my thoughts on a subject once I feel I have a good grasp of it and I just don't feel that way about this yet.

Mara has been sitting with us at the table for awhile now during meals.  We really wanted her to get used to her high chair and the nightly ritual of a meal.  In the beginning she was just excited to be in her chair with us.  We'd give her a toy or two and go about our meal.  Soon she started to get really interested in what we were doing.  She would watch us bring food to our mouths and started reaching for things on our plate.

This is about the time we started letting her taste some things.  She got a lick of anything "soupy" and was loving it.  It was our trip to Asheville that was probably the real start of true experimenting though.  There she was on our laps so much during meals that we let her suck on a few things on our plates (ie. bananas and pickles).

When we got back I started seriously looking into some baby food reciepes and doing a little research.  We decided that we wanted to skip the whole rice cereal craze and just jump into fruits and veggies.  I also knew that I wanted to make her food.  One I think this is the cheapest way of doing things but I also feel better knowing exactly what I am giving her.

Despite my overwhelming desire to make her food, this is surprisingly the part that made me the most nervous.  What foods do I start her on? How long do we try each food before its safe (no allergy)? Can I mix foods? So many questions ran and still run through my head.

Basically I just decided to jump right in.  I started buying produce at the store to make a variety of foods.  I thought we'll try a little of each and see what her favorites will be.  I also assume that she probably won't be satisfied with purees long and soon we'll just be giving her what we're eating.  I bought avocado, zucchini, red pepper, carrots, green beans, pears, sweet potatoes, apples and peaches.  For the most part I just either steam or roast the item and then puree it till its a consistency I know she can handle.  I don't worry about it being perfectly smooth because she needs to get used to a little bit of texture.  Then I freeze it in about 1 ounce portions and store it in the freezer till she's ready to eat it.

So what does she like...Well she loves sweets.  Hmm wonder where she gets that from? :) She loves her pears and sweet potatoes.  She seems on the fence with avocado and the red pepper although she will eat both if she hasn't had pears or sweet potatoes lately.  The girl remembers!  Green beans have been the funniest experience to date.  I'd say she's not a fan.  She literally sticks out her tongue to let them fall off or spits them across the table.  I'm going to keep trying but we may have to mix those with something.

Right now we mainly just give her a little at night for dinner.  We were thinking of increasing the amount of solids but we're holding off till her digestive track can catch up a bit.  Although she loves to eat and will reach for food, she really has had an adjustment phase when it comes to *cough* relieving herself.  Hopefully this gets better or more stable soon as I hate to see my girl in pain.

In the meantime I guess we'll just keep trying.  As with everything I'm sure this will start to feel normal soon and I'll feel like I have a better grip on her diet.  Its a new stage and its been exciting to see her experiment and enjoy new tastes.  I can't be her only nourishment forever and I love her enjoy her food (and make a mess of it!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...