Monday, September 24, 2012

The Workout Journey

Its been about a month since I first wrote about plans to change the way I eat and workout here. I started off strong, setting a goal to workout six days a week.  I'm happy to report that for the most part I have stuck with that plan.  Sure its been hard when we've been traveling or I am in Nairobi for work but even then I made sure I was walking to where I needed to go or doing a few lunges in the hotel room when I had the chance.

Changing the way I eat has been a process.  I knew it wouldn't be easy with all the carbs (hidden sugar) there is in everything here.  Overall though I am really happy with my progress.  I've cut back on all the rice and chapatis and replaced them with veggies.  I've also noticed that my ability to portion control has increased.  Normally I wouldn't think too much about how big my portion was on my plate and just finish it.  Now I notice myself consciously looking as I serve myself.  The end result is the same!  I'm definitely not starving and don't have that stuffed feeling after every meal.

I also have been doing really good on drinking more water.  The original goal of 3 liters of day has only increased.  I find myself just craving the stuff which is kind of cool.  I'm most excited about how it is replacing soda in my daily routine.  I don't find myself craving that sugar/caffeine.  More so, I want the water more.

As I said before, actually loosing weight was never the goal.  Sure I expected some results just from the change of diet and increase in activity, but nothing major.  Josh recently downloaded this program from Jillian Michaels for me called "The 30 Day Shred".  I love it!  Before I was dedicated to working out but it was hard to justify a whole hour to a video or the treadmill.  Now I set up my laptop and in 20 short minutes I'm finished!  Don't get me wrong, its tough.  You couldn't do a workout and see results in 20 minutes if it wasn't.      The small differences I've noticed in 3 days just blow my mind.  I'm sore but I see the results.  I last longer on the jumping jacks.  I'm not cheating on the push-ups.  Its really motivating for me!  The best thing about this DVD though is its ability to make me want to do more.  Sure I would feel satisfied and proud of myself if I just did the video (and some days I do) but it makes be want to be like ok now lets go run for a bit.

Overall I feel great.  I have more energy and I feel better about myself since starting to work out.  I'm loving the new motivation I have due to the video and hope I don't get sick and tired of it too quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...