Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Work Update

I realize that I don't write a lot about my work here on the blog.  Its not that I don't like what I do or don't find it interesting.  Its more that it has become the everyday to me and doesn't seem like the most relevant thing to update you on.  Recently we have begun taking steps to expand our project to another hospital in Kenya.  This time we are headed to a more urban site near our headquarters in Nairobi.

I have been busy coordinating with MOH staff at the hospital and hiring personnel to staff the project.  Recently I went to Nairobi to meet with hospital staff and also to take our lab chief to visit the hospital.  Our main goal was to get an idea of the feasibility of the MOH lab to perform the necessary tests and then to speak to the medical supervisor about the timeline for roll out of the project.  As most things go here, our plans were altered slightly and we were only able to tour the lab.

In the end it was probably best that we didn't get to speak to the medical supervisor.  Our visit to the lab raised questions that we didn't have the answers too.  I think its probably best that we take a step back and find these answers before moving forward with the staff.  Overall it will make the transition smoother.

So in the meantime, I'm waiting.  Waiting on data to come in from the data team so I can finish the third quarter report.  Waiting on the new study coordinator to start next week so I can begin to show her what I do on a day to day basis.  Waiting on the programming team to set up the new module on the netbooks so we can collect data at Mbagathi.  Waiting on HR to make decisions about new staff.  Waiting on procurement to obtain the new computers.

I understand the time needed to complete these tasks.  I really do, but I am concerned with the overall timing.  Its late September.  I will be in the states pretty much the entire month of November and December, well nothing really gets done in Kenya in December.  All of a sudden its the end of the year and my contract is over.  I have faith that I am leaving it in capable hands but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see this expansion finished before I leave.

So I will keep pushing.  Keep being that annoying American who keeps popping in day in and day out asking, "Is it done yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...