Tuesday, September 25, 2012

2 Months till The Big Day

2 more months till I marry my best friend!  I can't believe how fast the time has flown by.  I feel like it was just yesterday that we were in Zanzibar and Josh proposed.  (More on the story here)  I think the best part of our engagement was being able to enjoy it for the remainder of our vacation before announcing it to family and friends.  Don't get me wrong, I was really excited to tell everyone, but there was something awesome about Josh and I getting to focus on our future life together for those few days.

I mention this because I think all to often we tend to focus more on the celebration rather than what we're actually celebrating.  You get swept away in colors, dresses, flowers and linen colors and sometimes fail to focus on the marriage.  Sure I'll admit, and Josh can attest to this, I've gone a little crazy over a few minor decisions but I think for the most part we've been able to think about the day for what it is.  A celebration of our marriage.

We are so really excited to start this new chapter in our lives and to also have the chance to visit with family and friends.  We don't make it to the states often and when we do, its hard to see everyone.  Josh and I are getting married at Starved Rock Lodge, a beautiful, rustic lodge in a state park near my hometown.  Its got a great cabin feel without being over the top.  The best park about the location is the 12+ miles of hiking trails around the lodge.  Starved Rock State park has a series of gorgeous canyons carved out by the nearby Illinois River.  We were lucky to be able to do some hiking in July when we were in the U.S. and are hoping to go back in November before the wedding.  The winter is a great time to hike at the park as all the waterfalls are frozen over and the colder temperatures make the hundreds of stairs in the park bearable.



Another thing I like about the venue is its ability to host both the ceremony and reception.  Josh's pastor is flying in to marry us in front of the fireplace in the Great Hall then we will simply walk into the next room for cocktail hour.  Following a quick turn around, its back to the Great Hall for dinner and back into the next room for dancing.  You really can't beat that!

Currently I'd have to say we're not doing much of anything for the day.  Crazy right?! We have amazing family and a VERY organized wedding planner who are taking care of the details.  This has been such a blessing as I think its really just allowed Josh and I to focus on the marriage rather than sorting through all the details of the day.  We've been involved yes, including a crazy, hectic few weeks in the states running from vendor to vendor, but now its just "yes I like that" "no I don't" decisions.


2 months!  Its just going to fly. I know it, especially with the amount of traveling both of us have been doing for work.  Praying that we can enjoy every minute and keep focusing on reason behind the celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...