Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Favorite Things...continued

8. Public Transportation

The words "public transportation" in Kenya take on a slightly different meeting then what one would expect in the US. There isn't fancy bus lines or overhead trains. The idea of a subway system to Kenyans is absolutely laughable especially when they cannot even rely on the railway system to be on time. Here we rely on matatus, tuk tuks, piki pikis, and bota botas to get around. I know what you're thinking is something like, "What?!" so let me explain. A matatu is basically a big van that seats roughly 14 people and I say roughly because as the Kenyan rule stands there is always room for one more! I think the most I have seen and experienced in a matatu is 22. Yes that is people sitting on top of other people. Matatus run pretty consistently and there is definitely no shortage. They do have their downfalls as they are usually surrounded by people trying to sell you a snack or a beverage for the ride, they travel at breakneck speeds, oh and there's that whole pick pocketing things. Its pretty common!

Tuk tuks are by far my favorite mode of transport here. They are basically small carts, similar to golf carts, that are closed in. They are big enough not to be seriously damaged in an accident yet go slow enough to not be scary. I normally grab one of these on the way home if its late or if I'm out with friends.

A piki piki is by far the most dangerous way of travel here and I'm not going to lie and say I haven't taken one. A piki piki, or a motorbike, is pretty common means of travel here. The problem lies in the drivers. Most do not have a license, or a helmet, or drive recklessly. I mean the list goes on and on. I'm sure my family is cringing right about now, but I promise I haven't taken one of these in a very long time :)

Last but not least is the bota bota or the bicycle. I can honestly say I haven't taken one of these. (Even though its a pretty safe mode of travel) I have this fear of trying to balance on the back that's preventing me from even attempting. One of my favorite sites around Kisumu is a bota bota driver struggling up a hill with a man or women who weighs twice what they do on they back of their bike. Oh Kenyans....No matter the type of transportation here or whether its safe or not, will hold a memory for me. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been squished in the back of a matatu just dying for air. Or zig zagging on a piki piki on a dirt road. For me it will always be about the adventure that public transportation was and the stories/memories that go along with it.

9. The Market

Oh the market....I don't even know where to begin with this one. One of my favorite and least favorite things about Kenya has to be their means of purchasing goods. There really isn't stores in the sense of the word. I mean sure there is the few grocery stores and hardware stores, but the majority of Kenyans seem to pretend they don't exist. Why shop there when you can find basically anything on the street?! And I mean everything from nails and bananas to locks and used underwear. Yeah I'm not kidding, you can buy used underwear.

My favorite part of the market is the people. Sure I definitely attract a crowd with my white skin all assuming I am unaware of the 'true' prices of things, but in general its worth the struggle. Most of the time I don't buy because it is more fun to just walk around and take in the sites rather then hassle with the sellers. On the rare occasion that I find something I want, I bargain and I bargain hard. This is probably where my sometimes sour taste for the market comes into play. A set price is sometimes so nice!! First no matter what you do you will always be asked for twice or sometime three times the amount the item is worth. Not cool. Then you end up being pretty rude and short with the seller just to get it down to a reasonable price. Even then I sometimes wonder did I get screwed?

The plus side to the market is the great deals. I mean I got presents for less than a dollar.....not that I don't love you all. I even managed to get 10 great dresses for 30 dollars. I mean that's 3 bucks a dress. You can't beat that. Overall the market is a trial but when I am feeling brave enough to challenge it, it can be one of the funniest and best places in Kenya. I know I will look back on the things I got and remember the struggle it was to fight for that last 50 shillings (for those who don't know, yes I argued over 60 cents!)

I wish I had pictures of these things for you but one you don't whip out your camera in or on public transportation unless you want it stolen or broken and two the same applies in the market so alas you'll just have to take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...