Friday, August 6, 2010

Lake Nakuru and the Masaii Mara Part 2


Again the boys ready for safari! Beautiful sunset in the Mara

As promised the part 2 to this past weekend's adventure! After departing Nakuru we headed south to the Masaii Mara. The parks are not necessarily close to one another but the drive wasn't too bad. We made a short stop in Narok to stock up on supplies and then headed to the Mara. I wish I had a video clip of the road to get there. Our guide jokingly asked if we were ready for our "African massage" and I honestly did not take him seriously as I feel after two months I am used to the poor state of Kenya roads. Well it was rough and he was definitely right. I still haven't figured out how Kenya vehicles can put up with the conditions and then still manage to run...



The male of the family. The small family we saw!

After driving all day we went directly to the park for an evening safari. The few hours we spent in the park were by far the best of the entire trip. We were greeted by herds of zebra and impala. We were also lucky to get up close and personal with an elephant family who was stopping to take a drink. We thought our luck had just about run its course when we stopped by a female lion but THEN she went in for the kill. Yes we saw a lion kill!! We watched as she stalked the gazelle and then went after it. The gazelle didn't go down without a fight and managed to get some serious head butts in before the lioness put an end to the playing and grabbed the gazelle by the throat. (see pictures!) I wish I had thought to take a video of it but in all honestly I was so amazed by the situation at hand that it was enough to try to take pictures yet alone a video.



Getting ready to pounce. Got it!


The gazelle gets a few good head butts in. She decides that's enough of that.

To close the evening we got some shots of the sunset. Beautiful across the savannas of the Mara. I have to say that when you think Africa you think of the Mara. Miles and miles of grass all yellowed from the sun with the occasionally tree here and there. That night we made camp just outside the reserve at Acadia camp. It was decent with friendly staff and cute safari tent rooms. My only complaint is it was cold! I still haven't gotten used to the changing weather in Kenya. It blows my mind how one part of the country is so warm while another is experiencing below freezing temperatures.
More pictures and stories to come! I know what you're thinking, "She has more?!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...