Sunday, August 15, 2010

Life in Kisumu

Things have been kind of slow lately. I've stayed in Kisumu the last two weekends and have had a great time hanging out with friends. The referendum passed peacefully. So thankful that there was not any violence and Kenya has a new constitution that will hopefully propel the country into a new democracy.

Despite being under house arrest that entire week I managed to have a pretty good weekend. I moved from my small closet of an apartment to a friend's huge house. He was nice enough to let me move in permanently (as I was living here during the referendum). Its kind of weird to have so much space to yourself. We had not one but two get togethers that weekend which of course ment food food food. I think the running total was one goat, 8 chickens, 20 tomatoes, 5 lbs of ugali, 2 gallons of ice cream, and two crates of beer. So much food but so good!! Had a send off party for one of my friends. Its weird that people are starting to leave and I don't even want to begin thinking about when I have to go. Even after postponing my trip I am dreading the day I have to get on a plane. That night we decided to check out the wedding across the street. Yes we crashed a wedding. It was probably one of my best memories here thus far. Definitely joined in with a little YMCA and Michael Jackson action on the dance floor!!

This weekend was spent at the markets. Its so exhausting shopping here. Everyone wants you to look at their stuff even if you know you don't want any of it. Plus there's the whole bargaining thing. Its nice that you can get a better deal but its really frustrating when they try to take advantage of you. For some reason my white skin makes me a target. Surprise surprise. Also at the market you tend to get stared at more then normal and there's always the usual taunting and cat calling. My personal favorite from today, "How are you white person. Welcome to Kenya. Do you know that we only have black people here on this continent." Love Kenyans...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...