Sunday, August 22, 2010

My favorite things-Kenya

As my time here is coming to a close (tears) I've decided to reflect on my 10 favorite things about my experience here and the country in general. These are the things I will never forget and the things that are the hardest to leave. I cannot imagine leaving this place and can only hope I will be back soon. I keep telling myself this because its the only thing keeping me from breaking down in tears. I never thought I would grow to love this nation and its people so much. I wouldn't trade my three months here for anything. I am so grateful for the experience and can truly say it has changed my life.

10. Music

The music here is amazing. I love the colorful sounds and the upbeat sounds. One of the best parts of music here in Kenya is the diversity of it. Kenya is still essentially divided by tribes despite the uniformed government. Each tribe has its own distinct culture and characteristics, including music. I have grown accustomed to the different sounds in the night clubs and restaurants here. Even though I rarely know what the words means, there's something catchy in the beats and sounds. One of my best memories is the music from the world cup. The songs inspired a continent literally. I remember when any of the music from the tournament came on everyone went crazy. There was a national pride in the songs that isn't there in their everyday music. I was even sucked into the craze. I found myself humming "This is Africa" many a time. My time here in Kenya hasn't been centered around the music by any means, but I know that when I go home these songs will trigger great memories for years to come. They will always remind me of my three months here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...