Saturday, August 16, 2014

Corn-a-poluza

I've always wanted to be a runner.  Always wanted to like lacing up those sneakers and hitting the pavement.  I even tried to join track in high school.  But it's never stuck.  Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.  Maybe I have too high of expectations of myself but nevertheless running and I...We have a love hate relationship.

My latest running kick all started when some of the other mamas from church and I decided to start working out together.  We'd load the kids up in the strollers and go for a jog.  I wasn't the fastest of the bunch by any means but I was honestly surprised that I could actually do it.  Well that led to that and all of a sudden I was signed up for a 5k.  I figured hey I'll be in Mendota, babysitters abound.  Why not?

Ready to go

So a few weeks of mild training and I was ready.  I didn't have any loft goals.  Just wanted to run the entire time and make it in under 40 minutes.  It's just another workout I told myself.  No biggie.

Race day came and I have to say I was a tad intimated.  Everyone in their running gear, stretching and running practice jogs.  "Don't worry about it," I told myself.  You're just going for another run.  Set your own pace.  Do your own thing.

And that's what I did.

The gun went off and I zoned out.  Just found my grove and kept going.  Jammed to my tunes and focused on my breathing.  The first mile was hard (10:45).  Little kids and old ladies passed me.  But I kept going.

The second mile flew by (9:00) and all of a sudden we were in the trails behind the lake.  Beautiful but not great for my timing.  I really hadn't practiced trails and I didn't like the constant passing and re-passing of runners.  Walkers keep to the left they said...well most didn't catch that.

As the end of the race came into sight I was honestly shocked that I was still running.  I lost track of the number of songs I had listened to (the only "time" tracker I had).  I figured I was probably on track for my goals and sped up a little toward the end.

33:48 was the final time.  Well under my original goal.  I also finished 122nd overall (out of 266) and 5th in my age group.  Nothing to write home about but it was encouraging.  Encouraging enough to sign up for race number two...Another 5k in about a month.

Post Race Selfie

Will I become a long term runner?  Probably not.  But for now I'm loving it. I feel like I'm finally taking control of my fitness and building my endurance.  I don't want motherhood to be an excuse for fitness and am impressed with myself that I'm taking the time to do something about it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...