Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankgiving

Despite Thanksgiving being my favorite holiday, I have not managed to make it home for it the last couple of years.  This year was another spent away from family but slightly unusual as I celebrated in another country where Thanksgiving is not a national holiday.  It was a little strange to wake up to a house that didn't already smell of turkey and pumpkin pie (Elise and I managed to change that very quickly) and to not watch the Macy's parade on TV.  Instead we spend the day lounging around and working a little bit on our new 4,000 piece puzzle (more on this to come!). 

About an hour before we had to leave, I decided I better start on our dishes to pass and quickly threw together a green bean casserole and corn bread stuffing.  I couldn't resist sneaking a bite, no wait I mean checking to see if it tasted ok :) The traditional dishes transported me home and it began to feel like the holiday.  The food is what makes the holiday for me.  Yes I do love being with my family and I always remember to give thanks for everything in my life, but I just can't get past the food.  Its not even about the turkey for me.  Weeks before I dream of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. 

Luckily we got to have a little of each of these as we were invited to a joint CDC/WRP Thanksgiving potluck.  I was amazed at the spread and made a beeline for the food after a toast was raised and a prayer said.  It didn't stop coming as the dessert line was even larger with pie after pie and even some great apple cider.  We finally had a taste of fall, despite the 80 degree temperatures of Kisumu. 

After stuffing ourselves at the potluck we went over to a friends for another Thanksgiving feast.  Although we didn't make plates for ourselves here we couldn't resist snatching a few more pieces of turkey and I had to taste the cheesecake. 

Overall it was a great holiday.  Sure it was a little different celebrating an American holiday of food, thanks, turkey and football in Kenya, but the outcome remained the same.  We still went home completely stuffed to pass out on the couch due to a turkey induced sleep! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...