Monday, July 11, 2011

The mosquitoes...they love me

The mosquitoes love me. I'm not sure what it is about me in particular that they find appealing or why covering myself in 34% DEET doesn't even seem to work. Despite this constant practice and actively killing 4 to 5 each night I am still covered.

What is even more interesting is all of my bites seem to be concentrated on my left side. Even the one I got last night on my eye (yes I got bit on my eyelid last night) is on the left side. Normally I would think location doesn't matter but the concentration of itchiness on my left is starting to get old. The least they could do is spread themselves out evenly across my body :)

A mosquito bite here, a mosquito bite there generally wouldn't bother me, if I was in the States. What scares me is the risk of malaria associated with them here. I'm not on any kind of antimalarial being the long duration of my trip and about a week ago I came down with a pretty high fever. In the States we would just take an antibiotic and not think twice but I was immediately taken to the lab for a malaria smear! No worries it was negative, but it was definitely interesting and a little scary to get pricked and tested. And of course being the science minded person I am I had to have a picture taken of the whole process! (Picture to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...