Monday, July 18, 2011

The Coast...part 2

Let the real vacation begin!

The next day after the conference we set off to the hotel's dive shop to inquire about scuba lessons. The main goal of our vacation was to see if we could each take a diving course to get certified. Now I was excited, a little nervous, but definitely more excited about the possibility. Before this trip I really hadn't spent much time in the ocean (I'm not sure dipping your feet in counts) and was interested in seeing everything that was offered in the ways of water sports.


My course was led by the head instructor at the hotel, Erwin a European who had retired to Kenya with his wife to teach diving at this resort. What a life he had! Spend all day doing what you love and teaching others to do the same. To obtain your PADI open water certification you have to complete 5 pool dives and 4 open water or ocean dives as well as a little course work that included book quizzes and videos. We started in the pool the very next day. After an explanation of the proper procedure of putting together the gear, Erwin left me to get acquainted with the equipment. In the pool he started with the basics of scuba and let me try breathing underwater for the first time.

Now in the book they tell you that you will probably freak out a little bit. It just isn't human nature to believe that we can breathe underwater despite knowing we have oxygen coming to us via the tank on our back. Sure enough when I submerged I held my breath thinking this just wasn't going to work but of course it does. Its kind of surreal that first breath and a little nerve wracking. Soon you realize though that scuba is a form of relaxation. You have to be able to control those natural nerves to safely swim underwater.

The pool dives continued with learning scuba skills mainly focusing on the things that could go wrong and how to recover from them. Erwin demonstrated what to do if your regulator fell out of your mouth and how to use your snorkel. We soon moved up to water entry techniques and quick exits if your tank became empty. Overall I was catching on fast. The only thing I can truly say took awhile was learning to clear my mask. Under water you have to have a face mask that encompasses your nose. This is so that if water enters it you are able to clear it underwater. Basically this is accomplished by taking a big breath from your regulator and breathing out of your nose while slightly pulling your mask away from your face. The air should expel all the water leaving your mask clear. Mastering this skill took a few tries but by the end of the week I was fully taking off the mask, putting it back on, and clearing it completely with ease.

After the first 3 pool dives we headed out to the ocean. I was excited about this first dive because it was the first one I was able to do with Josh and frankly there really isn't anything exciting to see at the bottom of the pool! I was also very nervous about being in the ocean as well. Like I said I hadn't really spent anytime in the ocean before and being the off season the water was a little choppy. All of these fears disappeared as soon as we started to descend. I stuck close to Erwin and we explored the coral reef that is in the bay near the hotel. He pointed out numerous fish that I had only seen in photos before. I got really close to a crocodile fish almost putting my hand on it. These fish like to blend into the coral and sand making them really hard to see. Luckily these fish don't live up to their name and are relatively harmless AND I saw it just before my hand got to it. We also saw sting rays, catfish, clown fish, puffer fish, and lion fish on that first dive, not to mention the beautiful coral formations lining the bottom. This dive will definitely stay in my memory and I immediately knew this was something I was going to continue to love to do.

We resurfaced and switched tanks going down for my second open water dive this time practicing some of the skills I learned in the pool. The next day we continued this pattern finishing my 4 and 5 pool dive and my last two open waters. Again Josh got to come out with me in the ocean as he was finishing two of his dives for his advanced certificate. Coming up to the surface the last time was such a relief. I knew I had done it. I passed and was now officially a certified PADI open water diver. I am so grateful that I overcame my fears and tried it. I had a great instructor and the benefit of one on one instruction. Guess the only thing left is to plan another trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...