Monday, June 21, 2010

So I met Obama's grandma...


Yes I can officially say that I have met the president's grandmother. I do have to clarify and state that its not actually his paternal grandma but a step grandmother or his grandfather's third wife. BUT I was told (by my Kenya coworkers) that she takes her role very seriously. She sees 'visitors' everyday and sometimes all day. Her house is set back from the road. There's nothing special about the place minus the huge satellite on the roof and the armed guards at the gate. At first I was a little hesitant to go see her. Not cause I wasn't interested but she is constantly bombarded with people who are intrigued by the hype. As an American I didn't want to be pulled into that but alas my supervisor insisted. After signing approximately 4 guess books we were seated around a fire pit with cane chairs, her "office". She came out shortly after and spoke with us for maybe 10 minutes. She doesn't speak any English so the most I could do is smile and nod like I understood. But in the end she told my supervisor to "let the American take a picture. I know she wants a picture." So here she is....President Obama's grandma! (oh and the lady on her right is my supervisor Rachel)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...