Saturday, June 12, 2010

Baby elephants...as promised























Sorry its taken me so long to get back to blogging. I've had very sporadic internet access here in Kisumu because I've been moving so often. That's another story. But baby elephants as promised. The weekend I was in Nairobi I was lucky enough to have some time to play tourist. We went to David Sheldrick Elephant orphanage. The reserve is definitely a tourist destination as it seemed that only Americans and Europeans were there, but fun none the less. The orphanage rescues baby elephants that have been left alone due to poaching, getting separated from their families, or falling down wells. The ultimate goal is to rehabilitate the elephants and eventually release them back into the wild. For this reason the orphanage is only open for one hour daily so that the elephants do not get used to human interaction. The care keepers stay with the elephants 24/7 as a mother would do feeding them and making sure they do not fall sick. As you can see from the pictures they are so cute! And no these pictures are not zoomed in. We were that close! The one with the blanket was my favorite. He's the littlest elephant they have at the orphanage at 5 monthes old! I hope you enjoy the pics. Even though we were only there an hour I think I managed to take about 60 pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...