Saturday, June 12, 2010

karibu karibu


...and what an interesting welcome I had. Karibu means welcome in swahili (for those who are confused) and is one of the few words I actually know. In general people have been very welcoming and helpful, but it was my first night in Kisumu that will probably be one of those stories I will always remember about my Kenya trip. I arrived in Kisumu on Sunday not really knowing who I was looking for or how to find her. I had a name and a promise that she would know where I was going. I found my cab driver after a few minutes and some deciphering of the unusual spelling of Jennifer on her sign. We were off! My first impressions of Kisumu were good. Its a beautiful town right on Lake Victoria that has a laid back attitude and friendly people. The CDC had arranged for me to live with two other Americans in a flat in town and I was excited to finally get there and unpack. We kept driving and driving and pretty soon it started to look as if we were actually leaving Kisumu. So I asked the driver "Are we getting close?" She said we were but the flat was out of town a bit. Great I'm thinking this is going to be interesting but I was still hopeful. We then pulled into side road and continued to weave along the buildings each getting more older and worn as we went. At this point I was wondering what I've gotten myself into. After a 35 minute ride and a few stops along the way to ask directions we finally reach the place. Little do I know but the Americans I am supposed to live with are not at home but 20 minutes away in town. So we wait all while its getting darker and there is more and more interest in this white girl sitting in the cab. The kids playing in the streets come up to the car and try opening the doors all while yelling mzungu (white person). Finally my roommate arrives and lets me into the place. Another surprise awaits as we do not have any power because a storm is blowing in over lake Victoria. No big deal right. light a few candles and were fine. The surprises continue as I find out the flat lacks running water and I have a bucket shower to look forward to the next morning. Boy was I regretting not showering before leaving Nairobi. It was an interesting night as I also found out the windows lacked locks and the mosquito net might as well have been missing for the holes in it. Malaria is a big problem in Kisumu and although I am on anti-malarials you can't be too cautious. The picture is of the room I was supposed to have all summer. Can't really tell the extent of the place by it. Needless to say it was an adventure but after telling my supervisor about the place the next day I was promptly pulled out and placed in a hotel. Guess the place was just a bit too 'rough' for this American girl....

2 comments:

  1. ohhhhh, Jen, haha.
    so then if that picture is of the room that you were SUPPOSED to have, but didn't get it, what became of that room? and whose stuff is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the room is still there. the stuff was mine before it got ripped from the place

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...