Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An Engagement Ring

An engagement ring is usually the first thing folks ask to see when you announce you're engaged.  Girls "ohh" and "ahh" over it and guys slap each other on the back, "Good job, man!".  Ok maybe that's not exactly how it goes, but something to that extent.

Well we never had an engagement ring and let me state that not for a minute did I ever feel less engaged or resent the fact that we didn't have one.  Living in Kenya made both acquiring a diamond and wearing one a bit tricky and unpractical. So I got used to wearing one of my favorite rings on my left ring finger and we went about wedding planning knowing that at some point we would go get rings together (which was kind of exciting in and of itself :).

During our recent trip to the states we finally had the chance to check out some rings at a local jewelry store.  It was kind of a funny sight as neither of us knew the first thing about rings.  Princess cut, nearly colorless, matching sets...it was all foreign!  I've never been the girl who dreamed about the perfect ring.  I always assumed I wouldn't have much say in the matter as that's usually something the guy purchases on his own.

Nevertheless after a little browsing and some trying on I found a beautiful ring with a matching wedding band.  It was something I never thought I would like but then I got it on my finger and loved it.  Luckily Josh agreed :)  He was even nice enough to let me get the bigger one!

Next stop was the men's counter where Josh was able to look at a few bands for himself.  I thought this was the most interesting part of our shopping expedition because of the many options men have for rings now a days.  Of course there is the typical yellow gold and white gold plain bands but now there are bands out of cobalt and titanium.  Bands have diamonds and inset designs.  There was so many options!  Josh seemed to be more decisive in what he wanted and we were able to quickly find a band that he loved.

Although I had gone months without a ring, I instantly loved having it on my finger.  I think Josh did too as he made me take a lot of pictures of it. I even put off sizing it just to have to opportunity to wear it for a few days! But alas we were headed back home and that meant leaving it behind.

I'm still sporting my old ring and still feel just as engaged as ever.  I actually think its kind of neat to use this ring as a temporary one as it already held so much meaning to me.  My new one is pretty and I love it but this one will always be special too.

My beautiful ring

2 comments:

  1. that is such a beautiful ring and I really like this post! I like how you state that it's not the actual ring that matters, in sessence. You are aweosme girl!

    and congrate on being engaged! I can't wait to hear all about the wedding when it is to come!
    I like your blog and will definitely be back to see some more posts from you!
    I hope you have a great night!
    -Morgan
    ps feel free to continue my beauty series with me on my blog, a post everyday until the 24th and a giveaway at the end =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Morgan! That's so nice of you to say! Its definitly not about the ring. I am very excited about the wedding and can't wait to share all the details. I will definitly check out your beauty series!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...