Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Perfect Saturday Morning

Despite being here for almost a year now, I have yet to get out on the lake in a kayak.  There is a local man who was given a few kayaks by a couple of mzungus a few years back and now he rents them out to locals looking for a relaxing morning on the lake.  The night before we got to bed fairly late and I wasn't looking forward to the early start.  I'm not a morning person so the idea of only four hours of sleep that night didn't appeal too much to me.  Josh convinced me it was a must do in Kisumu so I dragged my butt out of bed at 6 am and off we went. 

They hyasin it coming again!
The lake was its normal murky self but it was great to get up close to the mangrove forest and check out the bird life.  At one point we paddled into the forest and were surrounded by the trees.  I doubted our ability to get the kayak out but we managed to steer the long boat through the grove.  In the end we didn't see anything amazing or even any hippos, but it was great to get on the lake and get a little exercise in.  You can't beat that burn in the shoulders from all the paddling!
I look awake, don't I?

After a few hours on the lake I convinced Josh to stop by the grocery store with promises of omelets and bacon.  With the supplies in hand we headed home and whipped up a breakfast that was definitely worthy of the calories we burnt on the lake that morning.  The eggs and exercise began to settle in and after about an hour at home we decided it was time to go back to bed.  A nap was in order! 

Josh on the lake
 Although it wasn't anything extraordinary, our Saturday was just perfect.  A few hours on the lake, a great breakfast, and a nap to finish it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...