Monday, September 26, 2011

Kitengela Glass

A new edition

This weekend I flew into Nairobi to meet up with Josh.  We weren't planning anything huge but wanted to take advantage of his time in the city to do some of the things on our list.  Josh had visited Kitengela glass on a previous trip and really wanted me to see it as well.  After seeing his pictures I couldn't refuse.
A sculpture on the compund






The trip out to the little art community was a bit rough.  With no secondary routes we were forced to go through downtown Nairobi on a Friday during rush hour.  Not my idea of fun.  The traffic didn't let up until we were well out of the city and had turned onto the little dirt road that would eventually lead us to the compound.  After a few more wrong turns and some rough patches we finally made it to our destinations 3 hours later.  (it was only a 8 mile route)
A gorilla welcomes you to the community

We were greeted by Nani, the owner of the estate.  She is a German artist who moved to Kenya almost 40 years ago.  Over the years she developed her property and now it is home to almost all of her staff, a slough of animals and the occasional visitor or two.  Immediately I fell in love with the place.  We were whisked inside her home and almost ran over by her 10+ dogs all wanting to give us their version of a welcome.  Soon dinner was on the table and I was overwhelmed by the delicious array before us.  All of it, I was informed, came from her garden or her animals.  She's a strict believer that if she can't grow it or make it herself then she shouldn't eat it.  I have never been so well fed in my life.
Beads are just one of the glass items they make



After a few hours of great conversation and a run in with a bush baby (inside Nani's house nevertheless), we headed to our house for the night.  The house we stayed in was breathtaking.  Stain glass mirrors, windows, floor tiles, etc. as far as the eye could see.  I think that first night Josh and I took a few hours just walking around the place discovering all the hidden treasures it had to offer.
A woman hand rolls beads
The next morning we were woken up to a troupe of baboons outside on the balcony and made our way back to Nani's house for breakfast.  Again we were welcomed into her house and served ostrich egg omelets.  Now I've never even seen an ostrich egg before but when I saw how much just one of these makes and how delicious it was, I'd say these are the future! 
Josh crosses the wire bridge

The rest of the day was spent exploring the grounds.  I attempted to cross the wire bridge to the other side of the ravine but after getting about 10 feet out I decided it just wasn't going to happen.  Josh proceeded across and got up close and personal with a herd of gazelle.  Besides the local wildlife, we were able to watch some of the glass blowing up close.  Workers were busy making vases and small bowls. Other artists worked on commissioned pieces and we got to see one of the finished stages of the cross Nani is doing for a local Catholic church.  Nani took one look at Josh's fancy camera and immediately had him snapping photos for her to use to promote the place. 
Hand crafting lilly vases

Overall the place was great.  Sure we did have a few mishaps getting out to the place and a dead battery on the way back but that's just part of the adventure.  I definitely want to go back because there is no way I could have seen it all.  Its just one of those rare gems that once you know its there you just have to keep going back for more.
 
Art work in the gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...