Monday, August 1, 2011

Preparing for.....Mt. Kilimanjaro

Yep that's right. I'm going to do it (or at least attempt to). We're climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro at the end of this month and I'm pretty much terrified. Let me clarify. In no way do I feel I am in any danger or have not taken adequate precautions in attempting this climb. Mt. Kilimanjaro for being the tallest free-standing mountain in the world and the tallest on the African continent, is generally an easy hike. No its no way a walk in the park, but there is not technical climbing required to summit. I am basically just afraid I will not make it to the top.

On August 21st we will begin our four day assent followed by a two day descent of the mountain. Each day we will be hiking on average five and a half hours with our longest hike being summit day. (6 hours up and 5 hours down) To prepare we've started running aiming on endurance rather than speed. I've been also doing some workout DVDs that I brought with me. They say that you do not have to be in peek fitness to summit the mountain. In fact they claim that working out before hand doesn't really improve your chances. It only makes the climb more comfortable. The real test here will be the altitude. Altitude sickness is the main reasons climbers do not make it to the top. At nearly 6,000 meters above sea level, its high and our bodies are definitely not used to breathing yet alone walking at that hike. We will take altitude medicine as a prophylaxis but the key is to take it slow and steady. And I have absolutely no problem with this philosophy!

I've also been trying to accumulate as much hiking gear as possible for the trip so that I don't have to rent next to par equipment at the base camp of the mountain. I'm so grateful that another American here is very well prepared. Below look at all the goodies she let me borrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...