Monday, August 8, 2011

Preparing for Kilmanjaro




We're now 9 days out until the start of our trek. I am starting to feel a little better about the hike although I am still very nervous. I have been trying to workout every night to increase my endurance level. I have never walked for 8 plus hours straight so I do not know what to expect.


This past weekend I was able to try out some of my new (borrowed) gear. I loaded down my back with sleeping bag and sleeping pad and we set off for the hills around Kisumu. This time we managed to find the correct route (On my birthday we veered off trail a bit) and made it up to the top in little over 2 hours. Coming back down was much quicker and a bit drier as it did not rain on us this time.


A few things I've learned on this hike:


1. Hiking packs are amazing and meant for hiking! Don't be cheap and use a regular backpack. You just can't beat the waist strap that elimates most of the pressure off of your back.


2. A basic first aid kit is key. I managed to slip going up and banged up my knee pretty bad. We had a first aid kit yes but it was this fancy army one. No I do not need an IV thank you. A basic alcohol wipe will do.


3. Treking poles are my new best friend. I always thought these were a little stupid until this weekend. They relieve so much stress on your joints, especially going down. I think they are going to be key on summit day when I'm trying to traverse the rock screen.


Overall it was a good test run. Sure we only climbed 1,000 feet and Mt. Kilimanjaro is 19,341 feet but it was good practice. We also made a gear run to the local market. I didn't really think I would be able to find what I needed but only after 30 minutes of searching, sucess!! 2 pairs of under armor pants, 1 pair of hiking pants, and a down coat. Only $15 for all too!!


My loot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...