Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Favorite things Kenya

This is me bawling because I couldn't speak after they had all talked.
I told you I was finishing this post and here's 3 and 4....
3. My Field Staff
I miss them. I truly do. Its been only a week since I've seen them but I miss going out to the field daily and seeing their smiling faces. Our staff consisted of 8 nurses, 3 pharmacy staff, 3 health facility recorders, and 2 quality control personnel. I can honestly say all were open and welcoming. I was able to get to know each and everyone of them. Probably one of the hardest nights for me in Kenya was the night I took them all out to eat. We were finally able to sit down as a team instead of the three collective units and talk. I don't think I have ever laughed and cried so much. I was touched when everyone took turns standing and saying something about me. By the end I couldn't even form sentences to thank everyone enough. These people came into my life for a snapshot and there isn't words to describe what they did to change it. They taught me how to lead not only as a team leader but as a boss. I learned how to best communicate and get things done. I mean sometimes this took a little finesse but I figured it out. I couldn't have asked to be place with a better group of people. I know that I will continue to keep in touch with them and when I return to Kenya (Yes I AM going back) they will be the first ones I call to be on my team.

The entire team!

4. The adventures
Although I was based in Kisumu the best parts of my trip were by far the 'adventures' I took. I call them adventures because for the most part they were unplanned and by the seat of our pants so to speak. We went to game parks and the big cities, climbed mountains and hiked the rain forest. Kenya is a country that offers very diverse wildlife, terrain, and things to do. I made it a point to soak up as much as possible in my limited time there. Looking back its hard to claim one trip was my favorite over another. I loved all of them for their uniqueness, the unexpected surprises, and the people who came along. I think the best way to do this is to just focus instead on my favorite moment of each trip....

Lake Naviasha: I think my favorite moment here was hiking Hell's Gate gorge. The terrain was beautiful but difficult. I loved the guides witty comments on the orgin of the name of the gorge and his insistence that this was an "easy" hike. Some honorable mention moments of this trip include the sunrise boat ride on the lake and just sitting all evening in the great bar/restaurant at the campsite. This was my first trip and thus holds a special place in my heart. I think it was the trip that got us started!

Kakamega Forest: This one is easy. My favorite moment of this trip was watching the US vs. Ghana world cup match at a family's home in the middle of the rain forest. It was my 23rd birthday and a man graciously invited us into his home. I watched the US loose to Ghana sitting in a small hut with the man's son sitting on my lap. At least he was happy Ghana won!!

Mt. Elgon: This one is a toss up. I feel so much went "wrong" on this trip that its hard to pinpoint a great moment. Although there were so many mishaps the memories that came from them were great. Lets see....oh when we got stuck on the way up the mountain, or in general just getting up the mountain in one piece. Big thanks to Josh for that one! The hike itself was beautiful but rough. Oh and the downpour we got stuck in on the way back down....The caves were spectacular minus the threat of Ebola and the river that was the road on the way back to Kisumu brings back great memories as well. This was a trip of mishaps that just turned into "can you believe that happened?"
Nairobi: Here I think the best part was the shopping and boy did we shop. I think Rachel and I hit almost every shop in Nairobi in our short three days there. We got souvenirs and clothes to take back to Kisumu. The food was good too although I think my judgement was clouded as I was CRAVING American food pretty badly at this point.

Masai Mara: I'm going to lump this trip into one. The whole thing was my favorite moment. We saw too many animals, lion kills, Masai men, Japanese tourists, and wheat fields to pin down one memory. The beauty of this trip lies in its uniqueness. I know I can always go back and it will be different. Different animals, different issues that arise and the best part is it will always be amazing. The Mara is Kenya.
My top 1 and 2 to come soom!!! I'd do it now but I think I'd start crying....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...