Thursday, March 19, 2015

A New Hobby

I'd consider myself pretty crafty in general.  I don't really have a ton of artistic talent but I can definitely hold my own in the Pinterest world.  

This Christmas my parents bought me a sewing after I had been silently coveting a friend's zest for hers.  I let it sit for a bit before I finally got the courage up to try my hand at it.  

A St. Patty's skirt I did for Mara

I'm not sure why I was so intimidated.  For the most part everything that I've tried I have had success at.  Sure it's not exactly professional looking nor are all my seams straight.  But I'm trying and the garments are definitely wearable.

It's been really interesting seeing my comfort level expand the last few months.  When I first started I wouldn't work on a garment unless it was a pretty simple rectangle construction.  No way was I messing with patterns and multiple pieces.  Now it doesn't seem to intimidating.  I made the cutest summer dress for Mara that had a lot of parts and it turned out great.  I also just tried a pattern with the bloomers today.  Again no idea why I was putting it off.  Pretty simple!

Bloomers! I think these are going to be great for the cloth diapers

I think in a way I've been bit by the sewing bug.  I've already done way more in the past two months than I thought I'd do in six.  I've made myself and Mara three skirts.  I have also sewed Mara two dresses and two pairs of leggings.  Just last weekend I fashioned three sets of matching headbands for the two of us and today I made her a pair of bloomers.  

Maybe in the next month or two I'd like to also finish a scarf for myself and a kimono if I get really ambitious.  I'm also working on Josh's Christmas stocking (poor guy I make nothing for him).

Now I think you do save a little bit of money making things yourself but that's not really my purpose in all this.  I just really love the idea of homemade.  I love making pieces for myself and my daughter that will hopefully become heirlooms down the road.  Sure I know there are countless of homemade shops out there I could just purchase things from (and I have in the past) but now I'd just rather do it myself.  

Mara's skirt collection

I am so excited to keep sewing.  I've been on Pinterest way too much collecting "future" projects and drooling over fabric at the store.  Maybe the excitement will wear out but for now I'll keep my machine going.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...