Thursday, September 3, 2015

An End of an Era

Well I did it.  I finally took the plunge and weaned Mara.  We have been working toward this for awhile.  Before the move we were nursing about three times a day down from about six a few months prior.  Then while we were in semi limbo visiting family and friends, those three sessions turned into one.

It stayed at one for a long time looking back on it given how quickly we went down from six.  But we held onto that night time nurse keeping it part of her bedtime routine.  I honestly didn't really have a plan for total weaning.  I think in my mind I kept saying I'll wait till she's two (the end of this month).
Well she surprised me.  Four nights ago she didn't ask for nursing like she usually does.  She just reached for my hand and laid beside me.  I ran with it.  Yes about 15 minutes later she did ask but I gently refused and suggested we just cuddle instead.  No fussing.

The next day came around.  I had no idea whether or not I was going to refuse her but she didn't ask.  Again at about the 15 minute mark she signed for nursing.  I simply told her not tonight and that was that.

Enter the third day.  No asking.  Not even after we'd laid down.  I was in awe.

So here we are about to enter day five of no nursing and I think it may be safe to say she's officially weaned.  At least we're not looking back!

I honestly thought I would be more emotional about it.  Sure it truly does feel like the end of an era.  There is something sweet about those nursing cuddles but I feel confident that we both were ready to end that part of our relationship.

Nursing has been hard for me while pregnant and unfortunately I've taken that out on Mara a bit.  It's painful and it took everything in me to not crawl out of my skin during my first trimester.  I know she saw this and felt that our relationship was changing.

I am so proud of how far we came.  I know it's pretty unusual (in our society) to nurse your children past one but I am so glad that I did.  I can rest assured that she had a solid two years of good antibodies and nutrition because of it that will only set her up for the later years.

On a lighter note I'm kind of excited to have *ahem* that part of my body back to myself for a bit.  lol.  Well only another 4 months, but who's counting....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...