Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cloth Diapering: Our Stash

So after deciding we were going cloth I jumped in with both feet.  I researched and researched.  I wanted a system that was as close to disposables as possible.  I didn't want this to feel like extra work.  I also wanted diapers that would last multiple children without having to have things replaced on them.

Let me tell you the diapering world is confusing.  There's so many options from simple prefolds and pins (this is what our mothers had) to all in ones where you literally throw it on like a disposable.  And that's just style.  Then you have to decide on how you are going to launder them, which cloth diaper safe rash cream to use, how to set up your diaper pail, how many diapers you really need, what brands you're going to buy, etc.  To say its a bit overwhelming is an understatement.  Thankfully there's a ton of resources online from companies to mommy bloggers who have seen and used it all.

So what did we decide?  We decided to go with one size pocket diapers with snaps.  These diapers have three different snap levels that will transition with your child from approximately 8 pounds till potty training! The snaps are a little more difficult than velcro but I'm hoping this will prolong the life of the diaper as velcro gives out easily. Being a pocket diaper just means that there is the actual diaper and then inserts that must be stuffed inside of it.  The inserts can be made of hemp, bamboo, microfiber, and charcoal.  We decided to go with the most cost efficient and have all microfiber.

We have approximately 40 diapers.  I didn't originally start out to acquire this much but found some great deals at consignment sales along the way.  I think most resources would say you need about 30 to be comfortable only doing laundry every other day.  Our few extra gives us a bit of a buffer but I still don't like the diapers to sit more than a day.


So what's in our diaper drawer?

Bum Genius
Well we started with 7 Bum Genius velcro that were given to us by a friend in Kenya.  I sent these diapers off to be converted to snaps and get the leg elastic fixed.  Falling in love with the Bum Genius we purchased 7 more pocket diapers with snaps.  We have a few solid colors but also bought all the current prints.  Sure some of these prints are girly but most are universal.  And really who cares what's on the baby's butt.  I mean Mara wears diapers with dinosaurs and that doesn't make her a boy.

We love how easy our bum genius are to snap (when Josh changes a diaper Mara almost always ends up in one of these. Don't know if that's a coincidence?) and to stuff.  The pocket is large and I'm easily able to get my hand in there to put in the inserts.  We have never had a leak with these except in the used ones and that's only because I was cheap and didn't get the leg elastic fixed in all of them.  Lesson learned.  Now that Mara's legs are a bit chubbier there really isn't a problem.  The only downside to these diapers is the cost.  At $17 each, they are a bit of an investment upfront.

Kawaii
These diapers are really affordable coming in at an average $10 a diaper.  I love the soft fleece lining in them and the minky on the outside.  We have about 10 of these in both solid colors and prints.

We have had great success with these diapers and I love that they have the third snap that really helps you adjust the leg opening.  I've found that a tight leg opening is the key to no leaks.  The fleece also rinses off best and these are the least stained of our diapers because of it. Like the Bum Genius they have a large pocket making stuffing a breeze!

Fluffy Bottoms
We have three fluffy bottoms diapers all of which I picked up at a consignment sale.  I had never heard about the brand and mainly just got them to increase our stash....and because they were so cute.

We have had some issues with these diapers but for the most part they are ok.  I'm not a fan of stuffing them as the pocket is narrow making the insert bunch up inside.  I don't think I'd run out and get more of these anytime soon but we do use them on a regular basis.

Sun Baby
We have three sun baby diapers.  I know a lot of moms who use these because of how cost efficient they are and because they love all the fun prints they come in.  I picked up two of ours at a consignment and the other at our local cloth diapering store when they were having a $5 diaper sale.

Overall I really like these diapers and wish we had more of them in our stock.  I love how trim they are on Mara which allows me to put her in smaller pants.  I also love the fleece lining in them that is similar to the Kawaii.   Again it makes for easier clean up and less stains.

I guess my only issue with these are again the small pocket size.  When you're stuffing thirty diapers late at night you want things to go fast.  I'm always having to readjust these.

Just Bottoms
Again we have three just bottom diapers.  I purchased these for $10 online at one of these mom websites.  These are by far my least favorite diapers.  They have a second row of elastic inside that I guess is supposed to help with leaks.  It only traps poop and makes staining easier.

I have also had leaks in all of these diapers.  The outer leg elastic isn't very tight and the snaps don't allow you to make it tighter.  I will put Mara in every diaper before turning to these.

Some of our stash.
 From back to front: 8 Bum Genius, 2 Sun Baby, 6 Kawaii, 1 Fluffy Bottom, & Planet Wise liner 

Overall I love our stash.  I know it will only continue to grow and evolve as time goes on.  I'm sure we'll get rid of the ones we dislike and replace them with some of our favorite brands.  One of the pluses of cloth is they pretty much retain their value.  Many moms get anywhere from 60-90% of their initial investment back in resale.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...