Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas with Family-Illinois

This December we were so lucky to be able to travel up North to see my family and some of Josh's.  With Josh's busy work schedule, time off is rarely taken and I was so happy that we were able to fit in ten days of fun with family and friends.

My little girl
On the plane

We first flew to Illinois, where my parents are, to see them and my grandparents.  My dad and brother have never met Mara so it was fun to see their reactions to her.  My dad was in love as all grandparents are.  I'm sure Mara will have her grandpa wrapped around her finger soon (if she doesn't already!) My brother was another story.  I don't think he held her (voluntary) the entire trip.  I'm not too worried about it because I mean I get it.  He's a guy.  A young guy.  Babies aren't really that cool.  :)

Our favorite present
We also made a point to visit my grandparents while we were in town.  They're both getting older and I wanted to make sure they had met their newest great granddaughter.  Grandpa kept commenting that she was moving too fast for him to really see her.  That's our Mara, the wiggle worm!  I only wish we could have gotten up there another time.  We tried on my Grandpa's birthday (he turned 99!) but they had gone out to eat for the evening.

Mom wouldn't look at the camera for anything

While in Mendota my mom threw an open house for everyone to come and see Mara.  It really was ideal because we didn't have to go anywhere to see anyone.  They came to us!  Poor Mara got passed around and around.  She pretty good and once everyone left we tried to keep the evening more low key.

Three generations

My first Christmas ornament and Mara's on my parent's tree


I also got to visit with two amazing friends.  Mallory and Patrick came down from the suburbs to have lunch with us.  We love getting together with them and are always so thankful that they take the time to come down to us.  Melissa and her husband Dave were in from Australia as well.  Yes Australia.  Over the past four years our schedules have always been off a few days so we always miss each other.  This year they inlined for breakfast.  Hey I'll take it!!

Melissa & I
Illinois was also filled with family Christmas and the infamous Taco Tuesday.  Mara did great with both.  For Christmas she got a few gift cards and a new outfit.  As to be expected she wasn't too interested in the present thing quite yet but did study us and what we were doing.  At Taco Tuesday she was amazing as she was passed from arm to arm.  She even fell asleep on Donna.

The five days we had in Illinois went fast but I'm so glad we took the time to come up.  I loved introducing Mara to everyone up there especially my dad and grandparents.  It made my heart so happy to be among family again and to visit with friends.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry that Jillian and Adam did not get to see you. Hopefully, they will make it to your house in June (?) or when they go to a wedding near you. Mara is beautiful!
    The Ganschow's

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...