Wednesday, August 6, 2014

An Illinois Summer

Mara and I made the trek up to Illinois a few days ago and are adjusting to our new normal here.  It's been really nice and relaxing to be here and I am so glad that we decided to make the trip.  

First night at Grandma & Grandpa's

Mara is loving playing with some of mine and my brother's old toys.  Thankfully my mom kept most of our toys and it's been really neat to see her enjoying them too.  She really loves the Cosy Coupe car and will sit in it for hours as the poor soul someone gets to push her around.  She promptly screams as soon as you stop.  

On that note Mara is developing a bit of a stubborn streak.  Girl knows what she wants and will scream until she gets it.  For the most part I know what she is wanting but I am still trying to get her to communicate her needs to me via signing.  I can tell she knows what the signs means because she will smile or make sounds but she doesn't really do the gestures.  

We cruised on this until I realized its bad on MY back

As for other toys, she is also loving Uncle Joe's old tractor, music box and phone.  She loves putting the farmer into the tractor and pushing it around.  The music box is so loud but she loves listening to it.  She usually dances to the song while it is playing.  The phone is not like any phone we have.  It moves up and down as it rings.  She loves taking the phone off of this and putting her finger on the device that makes it move.  She will do this for minutes at a time.  

We have done a lot of visiting this first week.  We have stopped into the bank and seen all the ladies there.  Mara has also gone "to work" at Sports N Stuff for a few hours while I got my hair cut and ran a few errands.  She did great and even took a little snooze while she was there.  

Learned "So Big"

I've been training for a 5k this weekend and have been running the roads around my parents' home.  Mara and Mom have been walking while I run.  Mara still loves her stroller and usually zones out while in it.  

This weekend we are headed up to the burbs to a friend's wedding.  I am super excited about seeing a few of my Augie buddies (it's been years), especially Johanna who is flying in from Sweden!  Mara, Mom and Aunt Mary are tagging along for the trip and will likely hang out in the hotel during the wedding.  

Cosy Coupe cruisin
Thus far Illinois has been great.  Although we miss our friends, church and day to day life in North Carolina, the change of pace has been great for my mentality and spirit.  It's definitely helping time move faster and it's been great to see family again.
Tractors and John Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...