Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Flying First Class

After a fairly uneventful flight from Chicago to Amsterdam, I was looking forward to getting on the next plane and finally getting to Kenya.  I wasn't too concerned with my seat or if I would get to sit next to Josh.  We had traveled the whole way to the states without being able to convince any airline personnel that I should be able to be upgraded. So when he decided to give it a try in Amsterdam I was a little skeptical whether or not it would actually work.  He is able to fly economy comfort where I had only an economy ticket.

We got to the front desk and Josh launched into his usual speech.  "I have an economy comfort ticket.  Is there any way we can sit together..."  Much to our surprise the flight attendant informed Josh that he had been upgraded to first class!  This doesn't happen and still to this day we can't quite figure out how he managed to get the upgrade in the first place.  Well there was no turning down first class so he turned to me, gave me a sad smile and said sorry Jen but I can't pass this up.  We started walking away but were stopped by the same attendant with a new boarding pass for me.  She had upgraded me as well!!

I couldn't believe it that she had been so nice to move me all the way from economy to first class.  We rode the rest of the way to Kenya in complete comfort.  Ah the enmities of first class.  We were constantly asked if we wanted anything to drink (the drink selection was much bigger too).  The food was very fancy.  I mean who serves caviar on an airplane.  Yep that's right, caviar!  After lunch I reclined my chair completely (were talking basically a bed here) and went right to bed.  We were only awakened to the smell of the next meal being served, also very delicious. 

All in all it was an amazing experience that I'm not sure I will get to experience ever again.  I am so thankful for the kindness of the flight attendant. We were able to relax and enjoy the travel rather than be uncomfortable and stressed.  And who knows maybe down the road we'll be the recipients of another random act of kindness...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...